If you are fascinated by fish then the PADI AWARE Fish ID Course is ideal. The creatures spotted on your dive will no longer be a mystery as you unravel the principles of species identification. Learn how to spot the distinguishing marks of different family groups so you can discover and log sighting correctly.
The AWARE Fish Identification specialty course introduces divers to the most common families and species of ﬁsh found in temperate and tropical waters throughout the world. The course is designed to: – involve people in collecting valid data for fish surveys – develop the knowledge & techniques for identifying fish common in the local area
- Identify the characteristics of local fish families and species.
- Fish survey techniques and strategies.
- Practice fish identification dive planning, organisation and procedures.
2 open water dives
1 day / 2 dives
- Inclusive of full equipment
- Local Price: 115.00 €
- Pre booking course price: 100,00 €
- Certification fee: 45 €
- Open Water Diver, Junior Open Water or equivalent
- Older than 10 years
*The elective Aware Fish ID from the Advanced Open Water Diver course may be counted towards this specialty. You may also count this Speciality certification toward one of the five required Specialities for the Master Scuba Diver certification
Snacks and drinks on boat trips (payable on the boat). Money for: CD for your underwater photos, T-shirts, Sweatshirts.
- For your personal safety, all student divers must complete a medical statement prior to commencing a dive. If none of the listed conditions apply, you sign the form and are ready to start. If any of them affect you, as a safety precaution, a physician must examine you and sign a medical form that confirming that you’re fit to dive, dated within the last 12 months. Click here to view the form.
- Our boat is in Kos harbour, 50 meters away from the Dolphins roundabout. And she departs every morning apart Sundays’ at around 10:00 a.m.
- Recommendations for flying after Scuba Diving: For 1 dive in a day the pre-flight time is 12 hours. For multiple dives in a day the pre-flight time is 18 hours and more.
- Spectators can join the boat with an additional fee of 20 €. They can sunbathe on our sundeck, swim in crystal clear waters, or even upgrade onboard to snorkelers or even try divers.
If you have already completed parts of your course in another location you can get your final training and certification here. Please contact us for rates.
Tips for Fish Identifying
- Get familiar with the common reef fish families (or just your favorites) and find out about their appearance and behavior. Underwater Asia’s fish family pages are a great place to start. With a bit of knowledge it’s easy to correctly identify most fishes families and it is much easier to ID a fish if you know which family it is from.
- Carry a slate underwater and make a quick drawing of the fish when you see it. Don’t worry about artistic perfection – just make a quick note of the shape, fins, markings and coloration of the fish.
- Don’t just look at the fishes’ appearance, note it’s behavior as well. What the fish is doing can be just as helpful as what it looks like when you are trying to identify it. Is it on the bottom or hovering above the reef? Is it on its own or in a group? How does it swim and which fins does it use?